What do you do when you do not own alcohol inks?



OK i have not jumped on the alcohol ink band wagon yet...but I want to. Not being a patient person I attempted to play with my Stampin' Up! classic reinkers and rubbing alcohol. I do not think the results are the same at all, not from what i can tell from pictures of others use of alcohol inks. I wanted to use my experiment on the lid of a lunch tin. I still like the results, it took FOREVER to dry, I thought it would not dry at all for a while there. It did finally dry and I was able to move on to the rest of the tin.
For the sides of the tin I used Mod Podge as an adhesive for decorative paper from The Angel Company. I painted on a light coat of Mod Podge and adhered the paper smoothly and evenly, no bubbles. After the paper was firmly attached top the tin, I painted a light coat of Mod Podge over the top of the paper. I am very happy with the results of this so far. I used some double sided sticky tape to attach grosgrain ribbon to the tin. I also attached a large silk flower with a cute decorative brad in the center with the same sticky tape.
I stamped the top of the lid using Stazon Jet Black and the Flourishes set from TAC. I have a few further embellishments to do for the front of this tin and I will add more ribbon to the handle and post another picture when it is completely finished.

11 comments:

Jen said...

Dorinda, that's really pretty!!!!!! Love the colors you used and the stamps on the lid! And of course the prima! LOL

Amanda said...

I LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!! It is gorgeous. I think the alcohol inks work exactly the same as the reinkers and rubbing alcohol except that the colors are not quite as vibrant. Just more muted. K2 and I discovered this when she was here. Anyway, it looks FAB!!!!!!!!! Good job!!!

Alli said...

Dorinda, this is just beautiful, your friend is going to flip with excitement! What a talented girl you are!

Linda said...

Omgosh! Gorgeous!!! I love those flourishes on the top. And that paper is yummy delish! You know that I just watch the things you do and then copy...*big grins*

Lisa said...

This is super de duper!!!!
I love the flourishes, they are so Hot right now. LOL

I love the look you achieved. I would have proably covered it in clear ep and embossed it because I have no paitence.

This is a sure fire beauty!

Anonymous said...

this is beautiful. I personally find the alchohol inks to give a totally different look like you said. I tried the reinkers after I had done alchohol inks and they seem so thick and gooey compared to the alchohols (yes, we are talking classic ink.) for me, there is no comparison. the results with alchohol inks are much lovelier by far. love your blog, Janet (jaydensmummy)

Karen said...

Ohhh Dorinda..........it turned out beautiful! I love the scrolly stamps on the top! You have inspired me to make another tin!

Unknown said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Dorinda!!!

Stampin_Melissa said...

Dorinda, this tin is awesome! I just love the colors you used! AND you stamped the lid, awesome idea!

Kristin said...

This is totally gorgeous, Dorinda!! ANd the added touch of stamping on the lid was genious!!

bubbles said...

who needs alcohol inks? this is gorgeous!

Followers

Gary Allan - She's So California