Batik Sunday

Batik Scarf Tutorial





In Utah TMDMom had this awesome swap project for us to do..something I always wanted to do. stamp on silk scarves! I however could not make up my mind on what stamps/colors/patterns I want ed to stamp. I asked Beth if it would be ok for me to bring mine home and play with it.
After being here for a few days I knew I wanted to do a batik on the scarf. I did what I do when I make a Batik card.
Step 1: stamp image on scarf with versamark and cover with clear emboss powder. I used the True Friend set and Baroque Motifs.


Step 2: use heat tool to emboss the scarf, be careful to not burn the scarf. Move the heat tool around a lot.
Step 3: Put scarf in a plastic tub or like me in the kitchen sink, mine is stainless steel. Spray scarf with Ranger Adirondack color wash. I used Stream and Wild Plum.
Step 4: Iron between 2 pieces of newsprint (no ink) or like I did, 2 grocery brown paper bags with no ink. This way no printed ink comes off on your scarf. Use the highest heat setting with NO steam. Iron until the embossing comes off onto the brown paper. If the scarf is sticking to the paper reheat with iron.
Step 5: rinse, run under water until water runs clear. Ring out and hang to dry. Wait 72 hours before washing.
and then you are done! I recommend wearing rubber gloves unless you like the look of ink stained fingers and hands.
I referred to this article from HGTV for inspiration and directions for this project.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! I'm glad you thought of this! I was afraid to try it, but now I definately will!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely Gorgeous! Batik is your thang! ;)

Amanda said...

WOW! I need to beg Beth to send me a scarf to play with -- I did not get to that project . . . crap! Yours is gorgeous!!!

----- Alison Mewer Cowan ----- said...

That is BEAUTIFUL! I really want to try one - where did you get your scarf?

Sharon said...

This is stunning! Wowzers! Where did you get the scarf? I gotta try this!

bubbles said...

this is absolutely gorgeous!!! thanks for sharing!

Jody Morrow said...

WOW< that is awesome!

Anonymous said...

Dorinda......your scarf is so, so beautiful! I may make some of these for Christmas...but only because your wonderful tutorial is so well done!!! Tfs and Take care!

Anonymous said...

Your scarf is beautiful! Thank you for sharing how you did it!

Gillian McMurray said...

What a beautiful scarf. I have just bought some Color Washes so I hope my attempt is half as nice as your scarf.

Cath Wilson said...

This is gorgeous and I thought I recognised those colours - my favourites! Great instructions, too. Thank you.c

Followers

Gary Allan - She's So California